Monday, September 16, 2013

Farewell, sweet season of apples...

Why is it that end of anything makes us more appreciative of what is passing?.... For weeks now, apples on the Garry Farm have been coming in faster than I could manage them, sold some, made apple sauce, apple pies, apple butter, spiced apples, apple juice, ate them raw, ate them baked, tucked them in muffins, made apple pecan brownies, dehydrated by the bag fulls, pork and apples, and still they kept coming....Sunday I realize I hadn't picked any up recently under the Sherrill family tree and there were just a few more on the ground.  I almost tossed them and then no, I realized I couldn't waste them.  These were the treasured last of the season apples - we call them horse apples,  and something special had to come of them!
Some of end of season Sherrill tree apples
After a great deal of pondering and imagination about what would surprise the hubster the most, I had it, I would make apple fritters from scratch, the small little ones that would be a few nibbles, light and airy, not heavy and doughy and more fresh apples and fresh ground cinnamon.  
Some of The Apples Fritters made at the Garry Farm Cookery

Apple Fritters in fresh bubbling oil!

So I used about 12 apples of varying degrees of imperfection,peeled and cut into nice chunks These produced a little less than 4 cups of apples.  heated them up with about 2 tablespoons of butter and 3 tbs of brown sugar for just a few minutes until a syrup ran.   Then beat together 2 yolks of eggs and added a cup of flour and pinch of salt and 2 pinches of baking soda and powder and 3/4 cup of apple cider.   Add the cooled apples/butter/sugar to this mixture.    Then whisk the 2 egg whites and gently fold in the mixture.   Drop by serving spoons into oil that is 350 degree fahrenheit.  Keep oil between 300 and 350 F as you fry.  Drain and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on them.  Eat warm and share!

Apple Fritter batter - fry only what you will eat, save the rest for another fry!

So with my last refrigerator drawers full of The Garry Farm apples, I shall treasure each apple and enjoy them fully.  And I thank The Lord for such a bountiful Apple season..... LITLA!

One of my favorite verses about Apples:
Psa 17:8 Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings.......