Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A tasty date - Garfrerick's Cafe Oxford Alabama



My dear husband rarely ever takes time off from the farm.... So I was delighted to say he shut the farm for a few hours and we crossed the border... to Alabama. 

He selected Garfrerick's Cafe in Oxford Alabama across from the Quintard Mall. I was a bit concerned when I read what they were offering -Creole/Cajun/Southern , Californian ...... I thought Oh no another restaurant trying to do too much, across too many conflicting styles.  Well, I was converted  from the moment we were on the sidewalk in front of the cafe, I knew we were at the right Place.  Personalized hand written sign specials at the door, clean and cheery and modern, smells of fresh herbs wafted as we entered a very light but not glary or cold, as some modern places are.



The Cafe uses local foods including that of Garfrerick's Organic farm and it serves as a distribution site for the Moore's farm CSA one day a week.  Clearly a culinary establishment dedicated to using excellent food products and creativity in preparing them.  I so wanted to sit at the seats around the kitchen where the cooking was visible to those seated there. Maybe next time.   I had an awesome soup with roasted tomatoes, fig balsamic vinegar, apricots, garbanzo beans and much more.... radical mixture of food items, but I could smell and taste the freshness and care put into it.  I loved the ying/yang aspect of fruit in a predominately vegetable Soup that was accompanied by gluten free bread.  It was a culinary wonder.... I learned to incorporate fruits in my veggie soups.  Jacque went for the Burger topped with blue cheese and he didn't even share it!





The dessert was creative, moist and just right. It was in a handcrafted piece of pottery that I wanted to buy and take with me.  How special it is to eat from handcrafted pottery anywhere, but especially at a commercial food setting.  Made me feel like I was part of a beloved family!  Dessert was a sweet potato brownie topped with light glaze sauce.  Service was so wonderful and the atmosphere was just right.   No pipped in music, no clutter, just focus on the food and making sure the customers were happy.  When I looked at the extensive lunch menu, I couldn't help but thinking that these folks were "foodies" as we are and the match was wonderful.  Please do visit Garfrerick's Cafe in Oxford Alabama.  It is a hidden gem in its current location. (256) 831-0044 and 655 Creekside Drive Oxford, AL 36203

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garfrericks-Cafe/94748901732?fref=ts


Thank you Lord for those wonderful eateries that give us local and nutritious food well prepared and with great skills and for a Spouse, who never abandons me and is there in sickness and health and takes time to share how much he loves me!